Mike Underdown has nearly 30 years of experience in the telecommunications infrastructure industry and is currently the Executive Director – Operations at Netsync Fiber Inc. Formerly, Mike was the COO of Comdesco Group, Inc., a communications design and consulting firm focused on developing outside plant and inside plant (multi-tenant and data center buildings) for fiber optic and wireless networks. Some of Comdesco’s clients as a result of his leadership and sales efforts include Google Fiber, AT&T, Comcast, Verizon, Sprint, CenterPoint Properties, Digital Realty Trust, QTS, University of Chicago, Northwestern University, Zayo Group, and Server Farm Realty.
Mike was also Founder and President of Chicago Fiber Systems, where thanks to his leadership, the firm achieved its three primary objectives, resulting in a successful sale to Sunesys, now Crown Castle. Before his work with Chicago Fiber Systems, Mike worked for or with several of the largest telecommunications companies in the world.
Project Experience Highlights
- QTS – Provided technical consulting services related to the fiber optic infrastructure in and around the greater MSA of the data center; formulated strategies to improve fiber entrance facilities to mitigate latency and improve building distribution; design/build of meet me vaults to improve carrier coordination and ease of interconnection.
- CenterPoint Properties – Formulated strategies to improve fiber entrance facilities to mitigate latency and improve building distribution; design/build of meet me vaults to improve carrier coordination and ease of interconnection.
- Server Farm – Contracted to redevelop Northern Trust office and small data center into a wholesale facility in downtown Chicago; carrier coordination and attraction – designed meet me vaults in the freight tunnel system; coordinated and collaborated with the city of Chicago and its governing bodies to facilitate Server Farm objectives for the development of the data center; completed fault-tolerant design of network; designed operational plans for the meet me rooms and risers; collaborated on go-to-market strategies for positioning the building with carriers and tenants; found and sold anchor tenant.
- Digital Realty – Expert Testimony – Evaluation of Telx and Equinix interconnections between floors and facilities.
- 601 Polk (now owned by TierPoint) – Sourced and acquired site for redevelopment from carrier hotel to data center; provided all operational, budget, and management support of the facility until its sale in 2010
Mike holds a Master of Education degree in Educational Psychology from Eastern Illinois University in Charleston, IL.